Friday, May 29, 2009

Jayz Movie Grading Scale

Hello all (which for now is no one),

Well let me start by giving you a little taste of my scale, my biases, my preferences, and some examples of movies I have rated a certain way. This is so that you can understand where I am coming from. So if I over rate sci fis, and you know I usually rate 2 stars higher than you, adjust your thinking accordingly.

First, I like science fiction a lot, however because of this, I am critical of bad science. If I see something physically impossible, the movie already lost points. Also, I like epic movies (like Troy, gladiator, LOTR) and movies that teach me a lesson. Furthrmore, replay value has some weight. I ask myself, "would I watch it again?" if the answer is no, thats an automatic -1 star. Oh by stars, I will go on a 1-10 scale with divisions of 1/2 a 'star'. Stars just sound cooler than points.
My top movies are (in no order, the only 10s ever)
-The Aviator
-Training Day
-Minority Report

Oh and I almost forgot, I have a bias against humor and horror. The reason for horror is easy, its hardly ever done right, and often relies on "surprise" horror, which is cheap, and has 0 replay value. Exceptions would be Saw1 and 2. Comedies, arent memorable, and personally, I feel like I have enough humor in my life, I dont need to pay for it :P....

Averages and such:
Out of all the movies I have ever seen.
3 have ever gotten a perfect 10 (the ones listed above, duh)
about 5 or 6 have gotten a 1, including "wolf creek" and "open water"
My average is somewhere around 4-5, I am not easily impressed.

Finally, I thought about rating past movies, but rating based on memory is cheap and inaccurate, so all reviews will be on recently seen movies....
OK enjoy (and feel.... ie I beg you to help me better this by commenting!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment